Finishing Department in Garment Industry:
In a garment industry finishing department involves with garment washing, checking, final inspection, pressing, packing, etc. Proper finishing process can be improved quality of garments and make on time order shipment. Garments shipment is very much dependable on garments finishing section. Finishing section add value to the product which attracts customers by the presenting activities of the product according to buyer’s requirements.
Sewn products are sent to the finishing department in garment industry. Finishing department takes care of the following functions:
- Stain removing
After stitching, there will be some hanging sewing threads on the finished product. Trimming is the operation of removing these extra hanging threads. Sometimes, finished products get stained during the production process. Finishing department is responsible to remove those stains by using different wetting agents. Some of the sewn products may also have some open seams or other stitching faults. The finishing department repairs such products before packing. The last objective of finishing department is pressing. The sewn products are pressed to remove the wrinkles and to enhance the look of the garment. Finishing department in garment industry is shown in Figure 1.
Machine and Equipment Used in Finishing Department in Garment Industry:
- Thread sucker machine
- Thread Cutter
- Hand tag Gun
- Metal detector
- Textile cleaning Gun etc.
Process Flow Chart of Finishing Section in Garment Industry:
Work Procedure of Finishing Department in Garment Industry:
- Finishing Input (color, size and style wise): In this stage, body come from sewing section by way of per color, style or size to finishing section as a input.
- Thread Sucking: Here finishing input is brought in touch of thread sucking machine to remove loose thread from the body.
- Initial Iron: In this stage, garments are being ironed and close all the button of the garments for helping further step easier.
- Quality Check: Here body is inspected by a quality inspection to check if there any swing, washing, or any other faults exist in the garments. If found, the garments are send to the repair section or defective garments are declared as reject. Here 100% quality check is done.
- Sends body to get Up change: In this stage, an inspector ensure the garments get up is okay or not.
- Body inspection: An inspection randomly inspection some number of garments to ensure measurement is correct or not, quality checking has been done properly or not, initial ironing as per requirements or not.
- Iron: Here, garments are ironed properly for folding as per buyer’s requirements.
- Folding: After the ironing of the garments, the garments are being folded in the way buyer direction.
- Accessories Attachment: Here, accessories like hang tag, security tag, collar stand, butter fly etc. are attached before poly the garments.
- Poly: In this stage garments are being poly to protect the garments from dust as well as to ensure the garments be safe in the cartoon.
- Cartooning: According to the packing list, after being poly the garments, garments are being cartooned for shipment.
- Final inspection: In this stage, buyer’s represent inspect the garments based on AQL label to ensure the garments are as per spec sheet or not,
- Shipment: Garments inspection is passed, the garments are ready for shipment.
List of Major Defects Found in Garment Finishing Section:
- Brand: care or size label missing
- Wrong color
- Hole in fabric damage
- Conspicuous repair
- Poor construction
- Conspicuous soilage (inside or outside)
- Conspicuous abrasion marks from wash process
- High / low pockets
- Buttons, snap defect
- Button hole raveling, incomplete not cut properly / miss aligned
- Sizing problem
- Poorly trimmed garments threads
- Broken stitches
- Skipped stitches
- Open seam
Mohammad Sajjadul Karim Bhuiyan
BGMEA University of Fashion and Technology
You may also like:
- Quality Control Plan in Apparel Industry with Template
- Pressing Methods and Equipment Used in Garment Industry
Editor of Fashion2Apparel. She is a fashion designer and ex-lecturer in Fashion Designing. She wants to spread fashion knowledge throughout the world.