Fashion trends refer to the styles and designs that are popular or in vogue at a particular time in the fashion industry. It can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as cultural and social changes, historical events, technological advancements, and personal preferences.
It can encompass a wide range of elements, including clothing styles, colors, patterns, materials, accessories, and beauty and grooming techniques. The fashion industry is constantly evolving, and new trends emerge every season, with some becoming long-lasting classics and others quickly fading into obscurity.
Fashion trends can be seen in runway shows, streetwear, red carpet events, and everyday fashion choices made by people around the world. Fashion influencers, fashion designers, and the media play a significant role in promoting and popularizing fashion trends.
It’s worth noting that while some people choose to follow current trends, others prefer to create their own unique style, combining elements from different trends or creating a completely new look.
Differences between Fashion and Fashion Trends:
Fashion refers to the overall style and design aesthetic in the clothing and accessory industry, while fashion trends refer to specific styles and designs that are popular at a particular point in time.
Fashion is a broad term that encompasses the design, production, and sale of clothing, footwear, and fashion accessories, as well as the cultural and social aspects that are associated with it. Fashion can include a wide range of styles, from classic and timeless designs to avant-garde and experimental pieces.
On the other hand, fashion trends refer to specific styles, designs, colors, materials, or other elements that become popular within the fashion industry for a limited period of time. It can emerge as a result of cultural and social changes, historical events, technological advancements, or personal preferences. They can change quickly, with new trends emerging every season.
Changing Fashion Trends:
Fashion trends define period’s of time, each decade having it’s own distinctive trends moulded by the current affairs of the time. Modern day trends have changed in appearance but still reflect the current climate.
Traditionally, a fashion brand would bring a style to market in a magazine or fashion show and the consumer would jump on the bandwagon as it’s released in stores. High-street brands historically copy designer fashion brands, to bring cheap but low quality versions to market.
How do You Keep up With Current Fashion Trends?
Fashion trends come and go; meanwhile a society’s values are established and evolving characteristic to their beliefs and culture. Fashion is just not an ambitious projected image of a reinterpreted good old value to fulfill some function or agenda alike but rather a evocative and refreshing concept worthy enough to be portrayed for society’s appreciation that makes us even more instinctive. An individual starts seeking for a solution to reduce his dissonance or he aspires to get better. As an expression of their feelings today’s youth endeavor to interpret fashion trend and adopt the clothing style that suits their value and traits. This is prevalent among today’s youth who is in the identity creation stage of Erikson’s psychosocial development to look for trendy dress choices.
Trends change so quickly, though, and it can be tough to keep up with that fast-paced world. To help you out, we’ve put together a list of useful tips for staying ahead of the most important current trends in fashion.
However, the following are some of the ways one could keep up with fashion trend:
1. Follow fashion influencers and designers: Keeping an eye on fashion influencers, bloggers, and designers on social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube can give you an idea of what’s in trend.
2. Observe celebrities: Celebrities are often trendsetters, and their styles at important events are widely followed and emulated.
3. Read fashion magazines: Subscribing to popular fashion magazines such as Vogue, Elle, InStyle , Harper’s Bazaar, etc. can keep you updated on the latest trends.
4. Attend fashion shows: Fashion shows are an excellent opportunity to see the latest collections by designers and get a glimpse of upcoming trends.
5. Check out current runway collections: Check out what’s happening in haute-couture and ready-to-wear. Haute couture features one-of-a-kind designer items that you can’t buy in stores. Ready-to-wear features more wearable items from designers that are mass-produced and available in stores. Both are important when it comes to trend spotting!
6. Shop online: Online shopping sites like ASOS, Zara, and H&M frequently update their collection, and you can keep track of what’s in trend by visiting these sites regularly.
7. Follow trend reports: Many fashion websites and organizations release trend reports that provide a comprehensive overview of what’s in and what’s out in fashion.
8. Use hashtags to explore trends on social media: Specific hash tags are a quick path to the content you want to see! If you want to navigate fashion on social media without wasting any time, hashtags are the way to go. There are specific hashtags for fashion trend, events, designers, bloggers, photography, types of clothing and accessories, and much more.
9. Pay attention to styles at important events: Annual events like Coachella and award ceremonies are the key resources of trends. Events that are connected to movies and music are usually the best options for spotting current trends. You can check out live footage, news coverage, and photo spreads from these events to stay ahead of new trends and coveted red carpet looks. A few essential events to follow every year:
- The Oscars
- The Grammy’s
- Coachella Music Festival
- The Met Gala
- The Billboard Music Awards
10. Research fashion history: Understanding the historical context and evolution of fashion can help one better understand current trends and styles.
Keeping up with current trends involves a mix of following fashion influencers, reading fashion magazines, attending fashion shows, shopping online, and following trend reports.
- Past and Present Trends in Fashion Technology By Peter McClaud
- Fashion Zeitgeist: Trends and Cycles in the Fashion System by Barbara Vinken
Editor of Fashion2Apparel. She is a fashion designer and ex-lecturer in Fashion Designing. She wants to spread fashion knowledge throughout the world.