Most of the fashion design colleges and universities are still teach traditional designing methods, manual pattern making techniques, line drawing, figure illustration and draping process. But now computer technology or software can help fashion design students or designer, to create woven textures, illustration, drape models to create patterns, colors combination on fabrics and also try various combinations in their design. In this article I will discuss different uses of computer technology in creating design for fashion designing students and professionals.
Computers are an essential technology for the Fashion designer and fashion design related students. They speed up the design process by being able to utilize figures and shapes in a number of contexts, they are very useful for the rapid prototyping of designs.
Now Adobe® software is ubiquitous, especially Photoshop and Illustrator. Both pieces of software are useful to the fashion designer.
Adobe Illustrator: Adobe Illustrator helps the designer to create clear line drawings that are scalable, that is, they can be enlarged without losing any detail, which is especially good for working drawings.
Photoshop: Photoshop helps the designer to draw, paint, edit photographic and more complex imagery and also use to apply special effects on design.
CAD: CAD helps the designers to carry on the design work of the software. It is widely used in many fields such as, clothing plate making, model scale, layout, and the fitting and design. Costume design is one of the most representatives.
Uses of Computer in Creating Design for Fashion Designer:
1. To create design:
Both Illustrator and Photoshop software may be used to repeat a shape, outline or silhouette so that a variety of treatments can be applied. So the user has gained experience and skill this can save a lot of time. The results are often sophisticated due to the versatility of the medium – adding shading, repetitive detail and decoration.
Drawings below executed in Adobe Illustrator using the Pen tool.
2. To make color combination:
- Color can be altered simply by selecting and clicking; color palettes for a whole season can be displayed and compared on screen and modified easily. Designing ranges and working with color combinations becomes simpler as the Pantone color specifier system is loaded into both Illustrator.
- Photoshop along with the relevant identifying codes, making accurate color matching and printing a possibility regardless of any difference in machine set-up.
3. To get quality picture:
Over the years Digital cameras and scanners have improved dramatically in quality and are now very adorable. They are useful tools for inputting “First generation” images into the computer. Photographs can be downloaded and manipulated in Photoshop. After doing the work designer get high quality picture. Photoshop software’s are also use for image editing.
4. To make fashion and textile design:
One of the most versatile uses of Photoshop for a fashion and textile designer is the ability to repeat (copy), rotate, invert, mirror and apply all kinds of effects to printed textile or fashion ideas.
5. To create texture, sign and image:
Graphic design software is able to assist and create texture, sign and images. To create fashion brand logo, especially graphic design software needed during fashion shows to create backdrops, runway sets, and suggestions for color selection.
6. To set design on garment image:
Prints can be loaded into the pattern stamp tool in Photoshop and then drawn onto garment shapes selected by the magic wand tool. Pay particular attention to the change in color palette and complexity of the repeat print.
7. To create figure illustrations:
- Adobe Illustrator is also a very useful tool for creating full figure illustrations. The attitude of a pose, mood, color use and accessories can all help to convey design concepts.
- The “Gradient” tool can help to create a more three-dimensional effective figure.
- The broad color palette can allow for infinite shading.
- The ability to place photographs into a document and then trace over them as “Templates” allows for effective representation.
- The “Layers” function allows the fashion designer to move objects around and create levels of complexity without compromising work already undertaken, by locking individual layers.
You may also like:
- Application of Latest Technology in Textile Designing
- Color Selection Techniques for Fashion Designers
Editor of Fashion2Apparel. She is a fashion designer and ex-lecturer in Fashion Designing. She wants to spread fashion knowledge throughout the world.